Kids will love making these chocolatey penguins, tortoises – and whatever else their imagination invents!
- ½ tbsp butter or margarine
- 110g pink marshmallows
- 90g Coco Pops Rocks, plus more for decorating
- For tortoise decoration:
- Dried blueberries or currants
- a little melted milk chocolate
- For penguin decoration:
- dried blueberries or currants
- white chocolate buttons
- candied orange slices
- Place the Coco Pops Rocks in a plastic bag and semi-crush into rough smaller pieces using a rolling pin.
- Melt butter or margarine in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the crushed cereal and stir until well coated and, while the mixture is warm, shape into balls with greased hands, as follows:
To make a penguin:
- Use approx 1 dessertspoon-ful ball for the body and 1 teaspoon size ball for the head. Stick together.
- Use two small balls from Coco Pops Rocks for eyes, pressing well into the head.
- Use two larger oval rocks for flipper wings, pressing into sides of the body. Cut a candied orange slice into three small triangles, using one for each penguin as a beak. Use a little melted chocolate to stick.
- Stick two white chocolate buttons on base of body for feet and one to the chest – again, using melted chocolate to stick. Leave to set.
- Finally, make two small blobs of white chocolate on centre of eyes and top with a small piece of dried blueberry. Leave to set.
To make a tortoise:
- Use one tbsp of mixture moulded to a flattened egg shape, pointed at one end.
- At the other end create the head by making an indentation with a finger and push in one large oval shaped Coco Pops Rock until partially hidden. Working quickly while the mixture is still warm, press small balls around a central oval rock on the rounded top of the shape to form a shell (see photo).
- Use 4 large oval-shape rocks as legs and stick to each corner with a little melted chocolate. Leave to set.
- Finally, attach eyes using small pieces of dried blueberry.
Double the ingredients to make simple squares. Flatten the mixture into a baking tray and cut into squares then decorate. White marshmallows can be stretched into ghost shapes for Halloween!