A crunch and yet gooey chocolate cookie. This has chopped chocolate and pecan nuts for added crunch. The cookie mixture can be prepared in advance and put in the freezer
- 100g (3½oz) butter, softened
- 125g (4oz) light muscovado sugar
- Yolk from 1 med egg
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- 30g (1oz) cocoa powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g bar dark chocolate (50-70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 60g (2oz) pecan nuts, chopped
- 2 baking sheets, lined with Teflon sheet
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk, then sift in the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda and mix well. Cool for 5 mins.
Add the chopped chocolate and nuts. Chill the mixture while the oven heats up to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C.
Divide the mixture into 10 and roll each portion into a ball. Arrange, spaced apart on the baking sheets and then press them to flatten them to about 1.5cm (½in) thick. Bake for 10-12 mins until risen and cracked but still a bit soft and gooey.
Cool for 5 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
You can use other chopped nuts for this recipe