Our easy chocolate Swiss roll recipe is a classic! A Swiss roll is a very impressive cake and looks quite difficult to make, which is why people often shy away from baking them.
A homemade Swiss roll is so much nicer than shop bought and they are much easier to make than you might think. This chocolate Swiss roll has an unusual mint buttercream filling, which is full of flavour. The mint and chocolate work extremely well together. This Swiss roll cake could be served as a delicious dessert recipe topped with lashings of cream. This cake recipe takes 50 mins to make and bake and serves 4 people. This chocolate Swiss roll recipe is perfect if you want to bake something a little different, it's great for sharing with a cuppa or can be smothered in custard or served with ice cream for dessert.
Watch how to make Chocolate Swiss roll
- For the sponge:
- 3 large eggs
- 100g caster sugar plus a little extra for sprinkling
- 75g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 15ml hot water
- For the filling:
- 75g butter or margarine, softened
- 175g icing sugar
- A little milk
- Preheat oven to 220⁰C/425⁰F/Fan 200⁰C/Gas Mark 7. Line a 33.6cm x 22.5cm Swiss roll tin.
- Put the eggs and the 100g of sugar into a bowl and whisk until very light and creamy. The mixture should be stiff enough to retain the impression of the whisk for a few seconds. Sift together the flour and cocoa powder.
- Gently fold half the flour into the whisked mixture using a metal spoon.
- Fold in the remaining flour, making sure it has all been incorporated and there are no lumps. Stir in the hot water.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, smoothing it over evenly and gently. Bake in the oven for 7 – 9 minutes until well risen, golden brown and spongy.
- Meanwhile, have ready a sheet of greaseproof or baking parchment and sprinkle on some caster sugar. To make the sponge pliable you can place the paper over a damp tea towel.
- Turn out the cake quickly onto the paper and trim away the edges.
- Place a second sheet of paper on top of the sponge and roll it up loosely using the sugared paper underneath as a guide. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack, covered in the paper.
To make the filling:
- Put the butter or margarine into a bowl, sift the icing sugar and add it gradually with a little milk creaming everything together well until very smooth.
- When the sponge is completely cold gently unroll it and remove the paper. Carefully spread the sponge with the cream filling, then reroll.
Top tip for making Chocolate Swiss roll
Add chopped fresh mint to whipped double cream or half whipped cream and natural yoghurt for a less sweet alternative.