Zabaglione is an Italian custard dessert made by whisking egg yolks, sugar and liqueur. This recipe is for coffee-lovers and tastes great served with dessert biscuits
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 level tbsp golden caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cold strong coffee (1 tbsp coffee granules to 1 tbsp hot water)
- 2 tbsp Tia Maria (or Kahlua or Amarula)
- A little grated plain chocolate
- Dessert biscuits, to serve
Whisk egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla in a large bowl, using an electric hand-whisk for ease. Whisk in the coffee and liqueur.
Put the bowl over a pan of hot water and carry on whisking until the mixture is thick and doubled in volume — about 10 mins. Don’t let the water underneath touch the bowl or boil, or the mixture will curdle.
Pour into glasses, sprinkle with grated chocolate. Serve straight away, with biscuits.
Top tip for making Coffee liqueur zabaglione
Chill or freeze the unwhisked egg whites for up to 2 months. Use to make meringues.