A wholesome yet light bread. The malted flavoured flour tastes great and the generous sprinkling of mixed seeds guarantees it’s bursting with added nutrients.
- 650g (1lb 7oz) country grain strong brown bread flour with malted wheatgrain1tsp salt
- 1tsp unrefined light Muscovado sugar
- 2tbsp each of poppy, sunflower, pumpkin and linseeds
- 25g (1oz) butter, chopped
- 7g sachet easy bake yeast
- 450ml (3/4pt) warm water
- Breadmaker method
- Adjust the above ingredients in the following way;
- Use 500g (1lb 2oz) country grain strong brown bread flour with malted wheatgrain
- 1tsp easy bake yeast
- 350ml (12floz) warm water
Put the country grain strong brown bread flour into a large bowl. Add the salt, Muscovado sugar, 1 tbsp each of poppy, sunflower, pumpkin and linseeds. Add the butter and rub into the flour to combine.
Sprinkle over the easy bake yeast. Pour in the warm water.
Mix together with your hands until the mixture combines to make a rough dough ball.
Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and stretch and knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Shape into a round and sprinkle over the reserved 1tbsp of the poppy, sunflower, pumpkin and linseeds. Put on to a greased baking tray. Use a sharp knife to score a cross in the centre of the loaf. Cover loosely with cling film. Leave in a warm place until doubled in size. (This will take about 30-40 mins.)
Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Remove cling film from bread and reduce the oven temperature to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Bake the bread for 35 mins until golden. To test to see if the loaf is ready, upturn and tap the base – it should sound hollow.
Put all the ingredients into the bread maker bucket following the order and method specified in the manual.
Fit the bucket into the bread maker and set to the basic programme with a light crust. Press start.