A simple everyday dish for the whole family. Grated gourgette fritters are lightly fried and served with cooked halved tomatoes and fried eggs. A great dish to get the kids eating vegetables.
- 125g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 150ml (¼ pint) milk
- ½-1 large green chilli, deseeded and chopped, optional
- 1 courgette, (about 200g/7oz) coarsely grated
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 tbps freshly chopped basil or mint
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbps olive oil
- Fried eggs and tomatoes, to serve
Whisk the flour, baking powder, beaten egg and milk until smooth. Stir in the chilli, if using, courgette, spring onions, herbs and seasoning.
Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add remaining oil and tbps of batter, 3 or 4 at a time, to make the fritters. Cook them for about 2 mins over a medium heat, until puffed up and set on the bottom, then flip them over and cook for another min.
Serve with a fried egg and halved cooked tomatoes.
Top tip for making Courgette fritters with eggs and tomatoes
Make the batter just before you want to cook the fritters, this makes them really light.