This creamy fudge is the perfect Saint Patrick’s Day treat for grown-ups with a sweet tooth. Or make the kid friendly milk fudge recipe!
- 397g can condensed milk
- 150ml/ π pint Irish Cream Liqueur
- 450g/1lb Demerara sugar
- 125g/4oz Butter
- 2 tbsp Irish Whiskey
- Grease a 7inch/18cm square tin.
- Place all the ingredients, except the whiskey, into a large non stick saucepan and heat gently stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes stirring continuously until the temperature reaches 116*/240*C on a sugar thermometer (make sure you stir continuously scraping into the sides of the saucepan or the cream and butter will burn and give you brown specks in your fudge) – don’t worry if you don’t have a sugar thermometer fill a small bowl with cold water and drop a teaspoonful of the mixture into the water – roll it between your fingers it should form a soft ball. If not simmer and stir for a little longer and try again until a soft ball is formed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and beat for 5 minutes with a wooden spoon until thickened and slightly grainy. Stir in the whiskey and pour into the prepared tin. Allow to cool. When cold cut into squares. Store in an airtight container for 1 month if it lasts that long!
To decorate with the Shamrocks simply roll 50g/2oz green coloured fondant icing (you can buy this all ready coloured in the supermarkets) in your hands until soft and pliable. Pinch off 4 small balls – roll three in balls and flatten slightly and shape into hearts shapes for the petals and arrange on a piece of fudge. Roll the remaining piece into a small sausage shape for the stem and arrange on the top of the fudge to complete the shamrock shape. Press down gently to make it stick. Repeat with the remaining fondant icing.
- Fruit and nut – make up as above and stir in 75g/3oz mixed fruits and chopped nuts.
- Chocolate Orange – Make up as above and stir in the grated rind of 1 large orange and 175g/6oz roughly chopped dark, milk or white chocolate.
- Kiddies favourite – Use milk instead of cream liqueur and omit the whiskey. Pour into the tin and scatter the surface with mini marshmallows , chocolate chips or Smarties.
Decorate this tempting fudge with green fondant icing Shamrocks