Crunch leaf salad is a great way to get loads of winter veg in your diet – it’s a quick and simple salad that’s good for you too. The added pear slices bring a nice refreshing crunch and a bit of sweetness too which is counter-balanced by the peppery radish. Toasted hazelnuts add a bit of texture too and you can easily make this recipe with your Christmas veg leftovers as there are always plenty of Brussels sprouts from the previous day.
- ½ a pointed spring cabbage or sweetheart cabbage, weighing about 150g (5oz) when core is removed
- 1 small head of fennel, core removed
- 4-6 radishes, trimmed
- 1 red-skinned pear, quartered and cored
- 6 raw Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 3 tbsp oil and vinegar salad dressing
- 2 tbsp chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- About 30g (1oz) Parmesan cheese, shaved
Thinly slice the cabbage, fennel, radishes and pear. Pull the leaves apart on the sprouts. Add them all to a large bowl, and carefully mix in the salad dressing.
Serve sprinkled with hazelnuts and Parmesan.
Use apple or blue cheese in this salad, and your favourite salad dressing.