Crunch leaf salad is a great way to get loads of winter veg in your diet – it’s a quick and simple salad that’s good for you too. The added pear slices bring a nice refreshing crunch and a bit of sweetness too which is counter-balanced by the peppery radish. Toasted hazelnuts add a bit of texture too and you can easily make this recipe with your Christmas veg leftovers as there are always plenty of Brussels sprouts from the previous day.
- ½ a pointed spring cabbage or sweetheart cabbage, weighing about 150g (5oz) when core is removed
- 1 small head of fennel, core removed
- 4-6 radishes, trimmed
- 1 red-skinned pear, quartered and cored
- 6 raw Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 3 tbsp oil and vinegar salad dressing
- 2 tbsp chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- About 30g (1oz) Parmesan cheese, shaved
Thinly slice the cabbage, fennel, radishes and pear. Pull the leaves apart on the sprouts. Add them all to a large bowl, and carefully mix in the salad dressing.
Serve sprinkled with hazelnuts and Parmesan.
Top tip for making Crunchy leaf salad
Use apple or blue cheese in this salad, and your favourite salad dressing.