A classic Italian lasagne is always a winner. This roast vegetable version is delicious – and it’s dairy- and gluten-free!
- 1 x 200g (7oz) pack gluten-free (rice and corn) lasagne
- 30g (1oz) dairy-free Florentino Parmazano or dairy-free Cheddar-style cheese, grated
- For the filling:
- 2 cloves garlic, left whole
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 heads fennel, trimmed, cut into large wedges
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 large courgettes, trimmed and cut into thick slices
- A few sprigs of thyme or a good tsp dried mixed herbs
- 3tbsp olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2tsp vegetable bouillon
- 90g (3oz) red lentils
- For the cheese sauce:
- 60g (2oz) dairy-free soya spread
- 30g (1oz) wheat-free flour mixed with 30g (1oz) pure cornflour
- 1 level tsp mustard powder
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) organic dairy-free soya milk
- 30g (1oz) dairy-free Cheddar-style cheese, grated
- Salt, pepper and grated nutmeg
To make the lasagne filling, set the oven to hot, 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7). Mix all the vegetables in a large roasting tin with the herbs, oil and plenty of seasoning. Roast for about 25 mins, then turn them and roast for another 20 mins.
Meanwhile, dissolve the vegetable bouillon in 550ml (18fl oz) boiling water. Add the lentils and leave them to soak for 30 mins.
Squeeze roasted garlic on to roasted vegetables. Stir soaked lentils and stock into roasting tin.
To make the lasagne sauce, melt the spread in a saucepan, add the flour, cornflour and mustard and cook for 1 min. Gradually stir in the soya milk a little at a time. Stir in cheese, bring to the boil and boil for a few minutes. Whisk it well, but don’t worry too much about little lumps. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Spread a third of the lentil, vegetable and stock mixture over the base of a large ovenproof dish. Cover with 4-5 sheets or a layer of lasagne and spread half the cheese sauce over the top. Cover with another third of the lentil/vegetable mix, another layer of pasta, the last of the lentils/vegetables, then rest of sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for 45 mins until browned. Leave for 10 mins to settle before serving. Serve the lasagne with green vegetables or salad.
Most major supermarkets stock a range of gluten-free pasta in their 'free from' section.