With chopped dates and pecan nuts, these dark chocolate brownies are a delicious snack for everyone, even those who are gluten or dairy intolerant.
- 150g (5oz) good-quality (70% cocoa solids) dark chocolate
- 150g (5oz) dairy-free spread
- 2 medium eggs
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 90g (3oz) gluten-free plain flour
- 60g (2oz) dates, chopped
- 100g (3½ oz) pecan nuts, chopped
- 18cm (7in) shallow square cake tin, lined with baking parchment
Set the oven to moderate, gas 4 or 180°C. Break the chocolate into squares and melt in a bowl in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water. Beat in the dairy-free spread.
In another bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until light and foamy. Stir in the chocolate mixture then the flour, dates and pecans.
Pour the mixture into the tin and level the top. Bake for 30-35 mins until just set in the middle.
Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then remove from the tin and place on a wire rack. Cut into 16 small squares.
You can serve these brownies warm, as a pudding, or cold, as a tea-time treat.