- For the base:
- 3 large eggs75g (3oz) caster sugar
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 25g (1oz) cocoa powder
- For the white chocolate mousse:
- 300g (11oz) white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 45ml (3tbsp) milk
- 300ml (1/2pt) double cream
- 1 x 11.7g sachet powdered gelatine
- 3 large egg whites
- For th gark chocolate glaze:
- 100g (4oz) plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 75ml (3fl oz) double cream
- 50g (2oz) melted white chocolate and mini chocolate eggs, to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water until pale and very thick. Sift over the flour and cocoa powder and fold in gently.
Pour mixture into a greased and base-lined 23cm (9in) round cake tin. Bake for 12-15 mins until springy to the touch. Turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool. Trim sponge base to fit tightly into a greased and lined 20cm (8in) round spring-form tin.
For the white chocolate mousse
Place the white chocolate and milk in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and leave until the chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth. Stir in 60ml (4tbsp) of the double cream.
Dissolve the gelatine according to packet instructions and leave to cool slightly. Whip the rest of the cream until softly peaking. Gently fold the gelatine and cream into the chocolate mixture. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold in.
Spoon the mousse over the sponge base. Chill for 3-4 hrs, or overnight, until set.
For the dark chocolate glaze
Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and leave until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream. Leave to cool until thick enough to spread.
Remove mousse cake from tin and spread glaze over the top. Decorate with drizzles of melted white chocolate and mini chocolate eggs.