As the name suggests, this is a brilliantly simple pie to make, and tastes fantastic as well!
- For the pastry
- 400g (14oz) wholemeal plain flour
- 200g (7oz) chilled butter, diced
- 3tbsp unrefined icing sugar
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 2tbsp cold water
- For the filling
- 500g (1lb 2oz) plums, halved cored and cut into chunky wedges
- 200g (7oz) bilberries or blueberries
- 100g (3 1/2oz) golden caster sugar
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tbsp milk
- 2tbsp golden granulated sugar
Put the flour and butter into a processor and blend it until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the icing sugar, egg and cold water and blend again until the mixture forms a ball. Wrap and chill for 15 mins.
Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Gently mix together the plums, bilberries, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
Take a large sheet of baking parchment and roll out the chilled pastry on this using a floured rolling pin, to a 30cm (12 in) circle. Lift the paper and pastry onto a baking sheet.
Pile the prepared fruit into the centre of the pastry and fold the pastry edges up and over the fruit. Brush the pastry edges with milk and sprinkle the pastry with the golden granulated sugar. Bake for 40 mins until the pastry is golden and the fruit tender.
Making pastry in the processor makes it easy and the results are good.