This Eat Well For Less homemade gammon noodle pot is a quick and easy lunch option if you’re short on time. It’s a super quick lunch recipe as it only takes 5 mins to prep and 10 mins to cook, so you’ll have a delicious meal ready in just 15 mins! So quick and simple to put together, all you need to do come lunchtime is boil the kettle and wait a few minutes. This Eat Well For Less recipe is so simple to make that you can even make a different variation each day by adding your favourite spices to the mix. Ring the changes with your vegetables and mix and match to suit – try finely sliced sugar snap peas, mushrooms or mangetout, or sweetcorn kernels. Another way to achieve a different flavour is to add a teaspoon of curry powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon of Thai red curry paste – simple changes that will completely transform the taste of this cheap and quick dish. This Eat Well For Less recipe is also gluten-free, which is ideal if you’re following a gluten-free diet or are gluten intolerant.
- 40g nest dried vermicelli rice noodles, broken in half
- 1⁄2 tsp gluten-free yeast extract
- 1 tsp gluten-free soy sauce
- 1⁄2 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp peeled and finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 1⁄4 small courgette, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled, then peeled into thin ribbons
- 25g frozen petits pois, defrosted
- 25g cooked gammon, shredded
- 25g baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- finely grated zest and juice of 1⁄2 lime
If you have a large Kilner jar, then that’s perfect for this Eat Well For Less recipe, but if not, use a medium heatproof bowl or a large clean jam jar instead. Put the kettle on to boil.
Place the noodles in the bottom of the jar or bowl, then add all the other ingredients on top, except the lime zest and juice.
Pour over enough boiling water to just cover the ingredients (about 300ml). Cover with the lid or clingfilm and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
Uncover and stir, then add the lime zest and juice. Stir again and season to taste with a little more yeast extract, soy sauce or chilli, if necessary.
Serve immediately, straight from the jar or bowl.