Serve this delicious Greek dip either hot or cold, with warm pitta
- 175g (60z) yellow split peas
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4tbsp virgin olive oil
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 level tbsp freshly chopped oregano
- Drizzle of olive oil and sliced spring onion, to garnish
- Warm pitta bread to serve
Rinse the split peas and place them in a saucepan with the onion and garlic.
Cover with water, add salt and bring to the boil, then simmer for about 45 mins, until they are soft.
Drain the peas and onion and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the oil and purée until smooth. If the mixture is very thick, then add a little boiling water.
Stir in the spring onions, oregano and seasoning to taste.
Chill until ready to serve.
If the dip thickens during chilling, stir in a little more boiling water. Stir just before serving, drizzle over a little olive oil and garnish with sliced spring onions. Serve with warm pitta.