Top your fish pie with a crunchy filo pastry for a different texture to your meal. This easy recipe uses ready-made pastry for speed. This recipe serves 8 people and will take 50 mins to make. A portion of this delicious fish pie works out at only 463 calories per serving. This family-sized fish pie has a golden, crisp pastry topping which works wonders with the soft, creamy fish pie filling. Serve this bake with fresh greens like peas, asparagus, spinach and kale.
- 250g pack filo pastry (8 sheets)
- For the filling
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 600ml (1 pint) fish stock
- 100ml (31⁄2fl oz) white wine
- About 1kg (21⁄4lb) mixed fish (salmon, cod or haddock, scallops and raw prawns)
- 60g (2oz) plain flour
- 90g (3oz) softened butter
- 200ml carton crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Handful of fresh chopped parsley
- 3-4 tomatoes, quartered, deseeded and pieces halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- You will also need
- Large, shallow ovenproof dish
Put the onion and bay leaf in a pan with the stock and wine. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the larger pieces of fish. Simmer for 1 minute, add the scallops and prawns, then cover and poach gently for 2-3 minutes until the prawns change colour. Remove from the heat and take the fish out of the pan with a draining spoon on to a baking tray.
Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Mix the flour and half the butter into a paste. Reheat the poaching liquid, and reduce it to 600ml (1 pint). Remove the bay leaf. Whisk small portions of paste into the liquid to form a sauce. Boil for 2 minutes. Add the crème fraîche, tomato purée, lemon zest, parsley, tomato and seasoning, and stir in the fish.
Melt the other half of the butter. Brush 1 sheet of filo pastry with it and put another sheet on top, and put on the pie, tucking in the edges. Butter the remaining sheets, crumple each oneupandputontopofthe pie. Bake for 25 minutes in the middle of the oven until pastry is golden and crisp.
Top tip for making Filo pastry fish pie
You can make your own selection of fish, or look out for frozen bags of mixed fish or fresh packs of "fish pie" mix.