This popular Italian dish is a complete meal and uses only one pan – quick and easy, and it saves you on the washing up!
- 25g/1oz butter
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 slices of pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
- 200g/7oz fresh or frozen peas
- 4 basil leaves (optional)
- 1 litre hot water
- 60g/2oz Parmesan cheese, half shavings and half freshly grated
- 240f/8½ oz tubettini pasta
- 2 egg yolks
- Pinch of salt (optional)
Heat the butter and olive oil in a saucepan, add the onion and pancetta or bacon and stir-fry on a medium heat for a couple of minutes, ensuring they do not burn.
Stir in the peas and basil and cook for a further couple of mins.
Pour in the water, add a pinch of salt, if using, and the Parmesan shavings, and simmer gently for 10 mins in order for the flavours to infuse.
Add the pasta and cook with the lid half on until al dente, stirring from time to time. Add more hot water, if necessary. The pasta needs to be able to cook properly but once it is al dente, the water should have been absorbed.
Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks and grated Parmesan in a small bowl. Add this to the pasta and mix well until cooked.
Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
You could add a few cherry tomatoes to this pasta to give the dish a little colour.