This wonderfully aromatic, sweet marinade from western India is the perfect partner for lamb
- Two 500g racks of lamb, trimmed (ask butcher to remove excess fat)2 Large mild red chillies, halved and deseeded
- For the marinade:
- 3tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 5 garlic cloved, crushed
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 3tbsp mango chutney
- 3tsp garam masala
- 4tbsp natural yoghurt
- For the spiced mash potato:
- 750g ready-made mash
- 50g butter
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 1/2tsp sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 1/4 tsp dried chillies, crushed
- 1/4tsp turmeric
Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas 7. Score the fat of the lamb, going through into the meat a little. Combine the marinade ingredients and spread all over the lamb. Marinate in the fridge for 1 hr, or preferably overnight.
Place the lamb in a roasting tin and roast for 15 mins per 450g for pink, or 20 mins per 450g for well done. Add the chillies to the roasting tin for the last 10 mins of cooking. Allow to rest for 10 mins before serving.
To make the mash, heat ready-made mash according to packet instructions, whilst the lamb has 10 mins to go. Meanwhile, melt 50g butter in a pan, then add 1 finely chopped red onion and 1/2tsp sea salt. Cook gently for 10mins until softened and lightly coloured. Stir in 2 crushed garlic cloves and 1tbsp freshly grated ginger; cook for 2 mins. Add 1tsp light crushed cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp crushed dried chillies and 1/4tsp turmeric, and cook for another 2mins. Stir into the hot mash and serve.