A delicious high energy soup that can be made in vats and bought to work to heat up, and that will keep you fuller for longer.
- 100g pancetta cubetti (or smoked bacon)
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and diced (or 2 whole tomatoes from a can, chopped)
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1l chicken stock, fresh if you can find
- 140g pearled spelt (or farro), but pearl barley is more than acceptable
- 1 x 400g can canellini beans
- flat-leaf parsley and Parmesan to serve
Fry the pancetta in the oil for 2-3 mins in a medium saucepan. Add the bay leaf and onion. Cook over a gentle heat until the onion has softened and is starting to go golden. Add the garlic, fry for a few secs more, then the tomatoes and puree. Cook these down until the tomatoes start to thicken and soften.
Pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Rinse the spelt and drain well. Add to stock then simmer very gently for 25-30 mins.
Add the Canelllini beans and simmer for 10 mins more, or until the grains are tender. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, then sprinkle with parsley and freshly grated Parmesan
Faro is low GI so will keep you really full for the rest of the afternoon.