Gluten-free chocolate cake is the perfect indulgence for someone who is gluten intolerant. It means you won’t have to miss out on enjoying your favourite cake any longer. Go on indulge yourself! Try this delicious gluten-free chocolate cake made with dark chocolate, vanilla and natural yogurt and served with fresh raspberries and a light dusting of icing sugar for an after-dinner dessert or with a cup of afternoon tea.
- 125g (4oz) plain chocolate, broken up
- 125g (4oz) butter, at room temperature
- 100g (3½oz) light muscovado sugar
- 100g (3½oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 100ml (3½fl oz) natural yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 200g (7oz) stoneground brown rice flour
- 1½ level tsps gluten-free baking powder
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g (7oz) raspberries
- 1-2 tbsps icing sugar, sieved
- 20cm (8in) spring-form tin, greased and lined with baking parchment
To make this chocolate cake, set the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and microwave on High for 2 mins. Stir to check the chocolate has melted. Microwave for 30 seconds longer if needed. (Alternatively, put chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, until it melts.)
Cream the butter and sugars together, until light and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the eggs, add the chocolate, then mix in the yogurt and vanilla essence.
Fold in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda until combined. Spoon the mixture into the tin. Bake for 45 mins, then turn off the heat and leave the cake in the oven for 45 mins, to cool slowly.
Arrange raspberries on top of cake and dust with icing sugar. Cut into slices to serve.
Top tip for making Gluten-free chocolate cake
The cake may sink if you take it out of the oven too soon – don't worry, it still tastes scrummy. Try filling it with fruit and serving as a pud