This gluten-free pizza is piled high with fresh flavours - you'll never order a takeaway again
- For the gluten-free pizza base dough:
- 450g (15oz) gluten-free white bread flour
- 2 level tbsp sugar
- 1 level tsp salt
- 2 level tsp gluten-free yeast
- 40g (just under 1½ oz) whole egg replacer (or 2 medium eggs)
- 300ml (½ pint) unsweetened soya milk
- 1tsp cider vinegar
- 4tbsp olive oil
- For the pizza topping:
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 fat clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 small chilli, de-seeded and chopped, optional
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 180g tub marinaded and grilled artichokes in oil, or similar product
- 3 slices Parma ham
- 30g (1oz) Cheddar-style cheese, coarsely grated
- A few sprigs of thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 black olives, optional
- Large heavy baking sheet, lightly oiled
To make the pizza base: Mix the flour, sugar, salt, yeast and egg replacer in the bowl of an electric mixer/food processor fitted with a dough hook, or use a large bowl.
Measure the milk into a jug and add 175ml (6fl oz) hot water (unless you are using eggs, then only add 2tbsp hot water and beat in the eggs), the cider vinegar and oil.
Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix really well to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
To make the pizza: Spoon the other half of the dough on to the baking sheet and spread to around about 25cm (10in) in diameter. Leave, uncovered, in a warm place to rise; allow about 30 mins.
Meanwhile, make the topping: Cook the onion in the oil in a frying pan for about 5 mins until softened.
Add the garlic and chilli, if using, then cook for another minute before stirring in the tomatoes, ketchup and seasoning. Simmer and let it thicken for 10-15 mins.
Leave in the pan to cool while the pizza base rises.
Set the oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7).
Spread the tomato topping over the base to within about 1cm (½ in) of the edge. Arrange halved artichoke hearts on top with strips of Parma ham, sprinkle with cheese, thyme leaves and olives, if using, and drizzle with the oil from the artichokes – about 1tbsp. Season well.
Bake for 10 mins near the bottom of the oven then turn the oven down to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6) and cook for another 20 mins until really crisp on the bottom. Serve warm with salad.
Top tip for making Gluten-free Tuscan-style pizza
Use the dough recipe as a base for experimenting with your favourite pizza toppings.