Chicken is our favourite meat and we can't get enough ideas for serving it so here is delicious recipe for roasting chicken. Just brush on an orange, maple syrup and mustard glaze and cook with roast butternut squash, onion wedges and garlic cloves
- 1.5-1.75kg (3-3½lb) fresh free-range chicken
- 1 orange
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1kg (2¼lb) butternut squash, deseeded, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- A couple of sprigs of sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cabbage or other greens, to serve
Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Halve and juice the orange, set aside juice, and put the orange shells inside the chicken cavity. Put the bird in a large roasting tin. Whisk the maple syrup with the mustard, add seasoning and brush the mixture all over the chicken.
Add the butternut squash chunks and tuck in the onion wedges, garlic cloves and sage-leaf sprigs. Drizzle the vegetables with the oil. Roast the chicken for 1½-2 hours, depending on its weight.
Lift the chicken out of the tin and put on a platter or board for 10 mins. Take the butternut squash and onion out and place in a serving dish. Add the orange juice to some of the roasting-tin juices, and thicken, if you like, to make a sauce to go with the roast chicken. Serve with greens.