Kids' food can be healthy and fun to make. Get them involved when you rustle up this tomato risotto, which is great for Halloween!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Large knob of butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped, or crushed, optional
- 250g (8oz) Arborio/ risotto rice
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 560g jar or carton of passata (creamed tomatoes)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few fresh basil leaves, shredded, optional
- About 60g (2oz) freshly grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese
Heat a large pan over a medium heat and add the oil, butter and onion. Cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, if using, and the rice, then stir-fry for a couple of minutes, to coat the rice in the butter.
Increase the heat to high and add half the stock. Let it bubble, and stir occasionally until almost absorbed, then pour in the rest of the stock and the passata. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice still has bite, but it’s also fairly runny.
Take the risotto off the heat, then add the sugar and seasoning to taste.
Serve in warmed bowls and sprinkle with shredded basil leaves, if you like, and a little grated Parmesan or Cheddar.
Top tip for making Gory Halloween rice
Instead of the passata, you can use 2 cans of chopped tomatoes in this recipe.