This quick and simple supper of Greek-style lamb on a warm bean salad makes a nutritious family meal – and it’s only 323 calories per serving
- 8 lamb rack cutlets
- Knob of butter
- 1 large leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 150ml (¼ pint) good chicken stock
- 100g (3½oz) fresh green beans, trimmed and chopped into short lengths
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Good handful of basil leaves
- For the marinade
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the marinade: Whisk together 2 tbsp of the oil, the lemon zest and juice, and oregano and season well. Put in a shallow, non-metallic dish with the lamb cutlets, coat them in marinade and leave for as long as you can – from 10 mins to overnight.
Warm the rest of the oil with the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Sauté the leek and garlic for about 10 mins, until soft but not brown. Add the stock and green beans, and cook for 5 mins, then add the canned beans and warm through for a few mins.
Meanwhile, heat a frying pan or griddle over a medium-high heat. Shake the excess marinade off the lamb cutlets and fry them for 3-4 mins on each side, depending on thickness.
Put the cutlets on 4 warmed plates. Add torn basil leaves to the bean mixture and spoon it on to the plates. Sprinkle with small basil leaves.
Beans and lentils are a healthy side alternative to potatoes, rice and pasta