From episode one of their ‘Mums Know Best’ series, this hearty soup won’t disappoint
- About 2 litres ham stock
- 450g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 225g turnip or swede peeled and chopped
- 340g onions, finely chopped
- Any other ‘secret’ veggies, such as sprouts,
- Leeks, finely chopped cabbage, even a can of chopped tomatoes
- 225g red lentils
- Salt and pepper
Best to make the stock the night before with a ham bone or hock so the flavour can develop.
Cook the vegetables in the ham stock until soft, then add the lentils. Stir frequently at this stage, as lentils can burn quite easily.
If you have made the stock with a ham hock, remove any meat, chop it and add to the soup. Season to taste.
Maureen sometimes adds chunks of potato to cook in the soup to make it more filling, or stirs in 1–2 teaspoons of ground cumin to give it a curry flavour.