A healthy jambalaya soup will certainly spice things up a little and get you excited about watching what you eat like never before. At under 300 calories per serving, this is a real treat but so light, considering it's packed full of delicious flavours and ingredients. Colourful peppers, juicy prawns and meaty sausage all come together perfectly in this amazing dish, which is not only incredibly tasty but diet-friendly too.
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 onion, halved and finely sliced
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-3 green and red chillies, sliced
- 2½tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1-2tsp chilli powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1.25 litres chicken stock
- 500g tomato passata
- 350g sausages, half smoked half plain, sliced
- 220g raw shell-on prawns
- 1 large red pepper and 1 large green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 250g long grain rice (cooked)
- 25g bunch parsley, leaves roughly chopped
Heat half the oil in a pan and cook the onion and celery for 5 mins, then add the garlic and chilli. Reduce the heat and cook for 5 mins. Add the spices, bay and thyme. Mix well, then add the stock and passata. Bring to the boil, cover loosely and simmer for 20 mins.
Heat the rest of the oil in a pan and fry the sausage; drain on kitchen towel, then add to the pot with the prawns and peppers, and heat until cooked. Add the hot rice, season and sprinkle with parsley.