goodtoknow user Alma made these fun Hello Kitty inspired cakes. They are a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen and they can enjoy their hard work when they’re ready to eat
- 100g margarine
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 30 ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 100g flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- Pink food colouring
- Hello Kitty cookie cutter
- Buttercream ingredients
- 125g butter
- 250g icing sugar, sieved
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
The day before:
- Prepare the Kitty toppers – roll out some white sugarpaste.
- With a Hello Kitty cookie cutter, cut the faces.
- Then decorate with black and yellow icing pens and a pink sugarpaste bow. Leave to dry.
To make the cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180oC.
- Beat margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk, to the margarine mixture. Add the pink food colouring.
- Pour the mixture in the cupcake liners and bake 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes, then place onto a wire rack.
To make the buttercream:
- Put the buttercream ingredients in the bowl of your mixer. Cover the top and mix on low speed for 1 minute and then medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Colour the buttercream with the pink food colouring.
- Decorate each cupcake with buttercream and a Hello Kitty topper.
Top tip for making Hello Kitty cupcakes
You can use the same basic cake recipe and make any kind of toppers you want, from Winnie the Pooh to Barbie.