These sweet mixed vegetables would go great with roast chicken, beef, lamb and pork, so don’t forget to check out our roast dinner recipes too.
- 300g(10oz) Chantenay carrots
- 300g (10oz) medium beetroots
- 12 shallots, peeled, halved if large
- A few bay leaves and sprigs of thyme
- 3tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g (7oz) asparagus tips
- 2tbsp balsamic or honey cider vinegar
- 3tbsp blossom honey
- 2tsp each coriander and cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 2tbsp pumpkin, or sunflower, seeds
Set the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
Trim the carrots and halve lengthways if large. Remove any shoots and roots on the beetroot to 1cm (½in) and then quarter or cut into thin wedges.
In a large roasting tin, spread out the carrots, beetroot and shallots in one layer. Tuck in the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Drizzle with the oil and season. Roast in the oven for 40 mins.
Stir in the asparagus and drizzle with the vinegar and honey. Sprinkle with the spices and seeds and roast for another 20 mins until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top tip for making Honey-roasted summer veg
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says: Young parsnip and chunks of swede would go well in this mixture, too, if you’re making it in the winter.