Creamy, fruity and crunchy all at once – this frozen version of a traditional favourite makes a handy standby dessert and is great for dinner parties
- 300ml pot whipping cream
- 500g pot fresh custard
- 4tbsp Amaretto Disaronno, or brandy
- 250g from a 450g tub apple and berry compote (we used Yeo Valley)
- 100g (18) amaretti biscuits, roughly crushed
- To serve:
- 4 amaretti biscuits, crushed
- Rest of the apple and berry compote tub
- 900g (2lb) loaf tin, lined with cling film, with plenty of cling film overlapping all round
Whip the cream in a large bowl until it holds its shape. Stir in the custard and Amaretto.
Put the lined loaf tin on a tray or in a dish to catch spillages. Spoon half the custard mixture into tin, then add a few spoonfuls of compote, then rest of custard and rest of compote (but leave half the tub for serving with pud).
Sprinkle the amaretti biscuits over and then pull the cling film up and over to seal. Put in the freezer to firm — overnight.
You could make this with forest fruits compote and sponge fingers, if you like