Serve these tasty pot pies with seasonal vegetables and crusty bread.
- 450g (1lb) stewing or braising steak, cut into 2.5cm (1inch) cubes
- 15-30ml (1-2tbsp) sunflower oil
- 30ml (2tbsp) plain flour
- 10ml (2tsp) paprika powder
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 175g (6oz) field or chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 300ml (1pint) good, hot beef stock
- 300ml (1pint) good red wine
- 10ml (2tsp) tomato purée
- 15ml (1tbsp) brown sauce
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 450g (1lb) unpeeled waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
- 25g (1oz) melted butter
Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a moderate heat. In a large plastic bag add the flour, paprika and seasoning. Add the beef and toss in the seasoned flour.
Cook the beef in batches for 4-5 minutes until brown, turning occasionally. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
In the same frying pan cook the onions, garlic and mushrooms for 3-4 minutes and transfer to the casserole dish.
Add the stock, wine, tomato purée, brown sauce, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob for 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, place the potato slices and melted butter in a large bowl and toss gently to coat.
Spoon the beef equally into four 300ml (1 pint) round or oval ovenproof dishes. Finish with the potato slices, place on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes at gas mark 6, 200°C, 400°F, or until the potatoes are golden brown and cooked through.