A quick and easy one pot meal for the whole family. This Italian inspired stew is tasty with chorizo sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes and cannellini beans
- 2 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 small chorizo sausages, halved
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 90g (3oz) button mushrooms
- 600ml (1 pint) hot chicken stock
- 190g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs tomato purée
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tbs thickening granules
- Few sprigs of fresh oregano, to garnish, optional
Sprinkle the chicken with the Italian seasoning, salt and ground black pepper. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or pot. Add the chicken and fry for a few mins, turning it as needed. Add the chorizo and onion and cook for 5 more mins.
Stir in the red pepper, garlic, mushrooms, stock, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and tomato purée. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 mins. Add the beans and thickening granules, stir gently and cook for 5 more mins. Garnish with oregano, if you like. Serve with bread.
Top tip for making Italian chicken stew
Replace the chorizo for chopped bacon or 2 chicken wings or drumsticks, if you prefer.