If you like meatballs, why not spice them up a bit by adding authentic Italian herbs. Fresh herbs are best but you can use dried herbs.
- 225g (8oz) extra-lean minced beef
- 225g (8oz) extra-lean minced pork
- 75g (3oz) White breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp dried oregano
- 1 chopped red chilli
- 1 pinch fennel seeds
- 1tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil,
- 1x450g pouch original pasta sauce
- 1/2 ciabatta loaf, thinly sliced and toasted
- Low-fat mozzerella, broken up
- 20g (3/4oz) parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
Place the meat, breadcrumbs, dried oregano, chilli, fennel seeds, rosemary, parsley and egg yolk in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and season with black pepper. Mix well and roll into balls.
Heat a thick-bottomed casserole dish on the stove, add a little olive oil, then fry the meatballs until brown all over.
Add the sauce and bring to the boil, then lay the ciabatta croutes on top and sprinkle with the cheeses.
Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and bake for 20 mins, or until the cheese is golden brown.
Serve with cooked pasta and a green salad