Transform chicken wings into a spicy and tasty treat. This recipe takes just 20 minutes to prepare and is so simple
- 8 chicken wings
- 1 -2 tbs honey
- For the marinade:
- 1 tsp ground Jamaican allspice (or 12 berries, crushed and ground with a pestle and mortar)
- 1 tbs finely grated fresh root ginger
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 mild green chilli or ½ small red chilli, finely chopped, or 1 tsp chilli paste
- 1 tbs fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 3 tbs red or white wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbs vegetable oil
- To serve:
- Caribbean red pepper salsa or a dip, rice, salad, and lime wedges
To start this chicken wing recipe mix all the marinade ingredients together with a pestle and mortar, or in a blender, until fairly smooth.
Rub the marinade over the chicken wings, cover and leave in a cool place for 2 hours, or overnight is fine.
Heat a griddle pan, or set the grill to medium with the rack about 15cm (6in) from heat.
Thread the wings on to long skewers and griddle or grill for 10-12 mins until browned. Alternatively, fry the wings in a little oil until browned, then roast at Gas Mark 6 or 200°C for 10-15 mins.
Tip any remaining marinade into a small pan with the honey, and heat through. Brush the hot chicken wings with this glaze. Serve with salsa or a dip, rice, salad and lime wedges.
If you’re in a hurry, use 2 tablespoons jerk seasoning mixed with the vinegar, soy sauce and oil as the marinade.