These are great for barbecues, to take in lunch boxes or even as a quick family meal idea
- For the kebab:
- 225g (8oz) minced lamb or chopped chicken thighs (chop in a food processor)
- 50g (1¾ oz) fresh breadcrumbs (make in a food processor or blender, or grate by hand)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 egg beaten
- Salt and pepper
- For the salsa:
- 1 small avocado
- Juice of half a lime
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 3 tomatoes, coarsely chopped - don't need to skin them or chop them finely
- ½ tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 4 pittas
Combine all the ingredients for the kebabs and divide mixture into four. Shape it into sausage shapes around four skewers. If the kebabs are not required immediately, chill the skewers of meat until required.
Grill or barbecue for about 15-20 mins, turning until brown and cooked through.
Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the salsa and season well.
Heat the pitta and split lengthways. Fill with salsa and the grilled kebabs.
If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least an hour in advance to prevent them burning when you grill or barbecue them.