This quick couscous recipe is similar to a kedgeree but as it uses couscous rather than rice it’s much quicker to whip up. A great quick and healthy family meal
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g packet frozen kipper fillets with butter, thawed
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2tsp curry powder or garam masala
- 175g mixed frozen peas and green beans, thawed
- 200g couscous
- 400ml hot fish or vegetable stock
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 medium eggs, soft boiled for 7 minutes
Heat the oil with the butter from the pack of fish in a frying pan. Add the diced oinoin and allow it to soften over a moderate heat for 10 minutes.
Add the curry powder, or garam masala, the vegetables and the skinned kipper flesh, broken up into chunks.
Sprinkle in the couscous and pour in the stock. Turn off the heat and leave the mixture to stand for 5 minutes. When the stock has been absorbed, give it all a gentle stir and then season to taste.
Meanwhile, shell the eggs, cut them into quarters and add to the couscous. Serve warm or cold.
Top tip for making Kipper couscous
This dish works well with any smoked or frozen fish - so to save money, look out for special offers in supermarkets or at your fishmonger.