A tasty lamb casserole with courgettes, rosemary and tomatoes. This is a real winter warmer that’s also low in fat.
- 30ml (2tbsp) olive oil
- 900g (2lb) lamb neck fillet, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 x 700g bottle chunky passata (or 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes)
- 15ml (1tbsp) tomato purée
- Few fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1tsp sugar
- 2 large courgettes, trimmed and sliced
- Boiled and buttered potatoes, to serve
- Fresh rosemary sprigs, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the lamb in batches over a high heat until browned all over. Transfer to a casserole dish.
Add the onion to the pan and fry for 5-6 mins until lightly browned, then stir in the passata, tomato purée, rosemary and sugar. Bring to the boil then pour over the lamb. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then cover and cook for 1 hr.
Stir the courgettes into the casserole and cook uncovered for a further 20-25 mins until the courgettes are tender. Add a little water to the casserole if necessary.
Serve with boiled and buttered potatoes, garnished with fresh rosemary sprigs.