A great alternative to leek and potato, this is a delicious thick soup with a real punch of stilton. A great way to beat the winter blues. Just serve simply with fresh, granary bread.
- 450g (1lb) leeks, trimmed, washed and finely chopped in a food processor
- 2 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 1tbsp light and mild olive oil
- Large baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1.5l (3pt) vegetable stock
- 150ml (1/4pt) single cream
- 225g (8oz) stilton, crumbled
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
Gently sweat the shredded leek and celery in the butter and olive oil for 5 mins to soften.
Add the diced potato and stock. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
Whiz in batches in a food processor with the single cream, stilton and seasonings to a coarse consistency.
4 Top with strips of cooked leek and serve with warm crusty granary bread.