This lovely lemony risotto with crunchy broccoli, shallots and a cheeky splash of white wine is always a good vegetarian option at dinner parties.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 55g (2oz) butter
- 8 shallots, finely chopped
- 850ml (1½ pt) vegetable stock
- 280g (10oz) risotto rice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 glass white wine
- 250g (9oz) broccoli florets, blanched for 5 mins and refreshed under cold water
- 115g (4oz) vegetarian Pecorino cheese, grated (or
- vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese
- Fresh parsley, to serve
Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan and sauté the shallots for 5 mins. Bring the stock to a simmer in a pan. Add the rice and lemon zest to the shallots and stir for 2 mins.
When the mixture is hissing in the pan, add the wine, reduce the heat, then add the stock, allowing 1 ladleful to absorb at a time.
Add the broccoli and half the Pecorino cheese with the last ladleful of stock. Cover, set aside for 5 mins, then serve with the remaining cheese and fresh parsley on top.
Top tip for making Lemon and broccoli risotto
To stop the rice from sticking to the pan, keep stirring the stock into it as it cooks.