This lovely lemony risotto with crunchy broccoli, shallots and a cheeky splash of white wine is always a good vegetarian option at dinner parties.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 55g (2oz) butter
- 8 shallots, finely chopped
- 850ml (1½ pt) vegetable stock
- 280g (10oz) risotto rice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 glass white wine
- 250g (9oz) broccoli florets, blanched for 5 mins and refreshed under cold water
- 115g (4oz) vegetarian Pecorino cheese, grated (or
- vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese
- Fresh parsley, to serve
Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan and sauté the shallots for 5 mins. Bring the stock to a simmer in a pan. Add the rice and lemon zest to the shallots and stir for 2 mins.
When the mixture is hissing in the pan, add the wine, reduce the heat, then add the stock, allowing 1 ladleful to absorb at a time.
Add the broccoli and half the Pecorino cheese with the last ladleful of stock. Cover, set aside for 5 mins, then serve with the remaining cheese and fresh parsley on top.
To stop the rice from sticking to the pan, keep stirring the stock into it as it cooks.