Grilling trout with a simple mix of butter, thyme and fresh lemon slices really enhances the delicate flavour of the fish
- 2 trout, cleaned and prepared
- 75g (21⁄2oz) butter, softened
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh lemon thyme, plus a few sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved and sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- New potatoes and salad, to serve
Cut about 4 slashes into the top of each fish.
Mix 50g (13⁄4oz) butter with the chopped lemon thyme and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Spread the butter in the slashes and stick in folded slices of lemon and lemon thyme sprigs.
Melt the remaining butter on a griddle pan and add the oil. When hot, add the trout to the pan, slashed side down, and cook for 3-4 mins over a medium heat, pressing the fish down lightly to make sure it’s touching the pan. Carefully turn the fish, to avoid pulling off too much skin, and cook for a further 3-4 mins, or until the fish is cooked through.
Serve the trout immediately with new potatoes and salad.
Trout is an excellent source of protein and omega-3