This seasonal favourite is perfect as a Halloween treat or simply as a winter warming starter for your meal. Enjoy it with crusty bread for real comfort food!
- 2tbsp olive oil
- ½tspn coarse ground coriander seeds
- ½tsp coarse ground fennel seeds
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 2 fresh red chilies, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 2 lemon grass stalks with the ends crushed
- 2tbsp of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1kg fresh pumpkin, peeled and cut into approximately 2cm square pieces
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- Salt to season
- Fresh coriander, chopped to garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large solid based pan.
Lightly fry the coriander and fennel seeds, and turmeric together for 2 mins
Add the diced onion, ginger and garlic, and fry for a further 3-4 mins
Add the stock, pumpkin, diced chilies and lemon grass, stir well, gentle bring to simmering point and cover.
When pumpkin is semi soft, add the coconut milk and simmer further until the pumpkin is totally soft.
Take out the lemongrass, add the lime juice, put in blender until smooth.
Serve with fresh coriander to garnish
Be careful not to simmer the soup for too long as it will lose it's vivid orange colour