A burrito bowl makes a delicious lunch or light dinner and it is so easy to make. Lisa Riley’s recipe for a Mexican-inspired burrito bowl consists of black beans, sweetcorn, quinoa, red pepper, chicken and avocado. It’s also topped with low-fat Cheddar so you don’t miss out on the cheesy element. Once you’ve cooked this recipe you’ll be wondering why you hadn’t made a burrito bowl sooner!
- 250g pre-cooking quinoa
- 1 x 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 185g tin sweetcorn, drained
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 banana shallot, finely diced
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Juice of lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Per person to serve:
- 50g iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 20g low-fat Cheddar cheese, grated
- Quarter of an avocado, sliced
- 75g cooked chicken, shredded
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put the pre-cooked quinoa into a mixing bowl along with the black beans, sweetcorn, red pepper and banana shallot.
Add the spices, garlic, lime juice and olive oil and mix everything together until it is all evenly coated. This will keep in the fridge for 3 – 4 days.
For each serving, place the iceberg lettuce in the base of a bowl / jar or airtight container. Top with some of the quinoa mix, Cheddar, avocado and shredded chicken.
Add a little extra seasoning if you like. Pop the lid on, and you’re good to go.
Lose Weight for Life by Lisa Riley is available now, published by Michael Joseph, Trade Paperback, £16.99.