Make a fairytale come true with these Little Red Riding Hood cupcakes by goodtoknow’s cupcake queen Victoria Threader. Improve your cupcake decorating skills and become a pro with this step-by-step recipe
- 75g caster sugar
- 75g butter
- 70g self-raising flour
- 5g cornflour
- 2 medium eggs
- 15ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- For the buttercream:
- 55g butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 30ml milk
- For the toppers
- 260g white ready-to-roll fondant
- 200g ready-to-roll chocolate icing
- Tangerine, red, black and yellow food colour paste
- Black sugar balls
- Rose petal dust (optional)
- You will need:
- Circle cookie cutter, 78mm, 58mm for the heads
- Heart Cutter for the wolf’s nose
- Soft Brush for the cheeks
- Optional tools
- Petal cutter
- Smile tool
- Broderie Anglaise cutter
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat your oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Line your baking tray with 6 cases.
- Beat the sugar and butter with the vanilla essence until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 egg, 1 third of the flour and a splash of milk and beat until just combined and repeat until all the ingredients is mixed. Fill your cases to 2/3 full to allow for rising.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes, remove and cool in the tin for 10 mins before cooling on a wire rack.
- Make the buttercream by adding all the ingredients together and beating for 5 minutes on a medium speed.
- When your cupcakes are cool smooth a little buttercream over the tops of the cakes.
To make 3x Red Riding Hood toppers
- Colour 200g of white fondant red, roll to 3mm thick and cut 3x 78mm circles and place on top of the iced cupcakes. Smooth into a dome with your fingers.
- Colour 40g of white fondant with a tiny amount of tangerine colour until you achieve a good skin tone. Roll to 3mm thick and cut 3x 58mm circles. Stick these at the bottom half of the red circles and using the off cuts, roll 3 little balls for the noses and stick them in the centre of the faces.
- Stick the black sugar balls on for the eyes with a brush of water. Using the smile tool or a sharp object add a smile to the face. Using the soft brush and a little rose petal dust, give her rosy cheeks.
- Using the leftover red, cut 6 large petal shapes, or shape them by hand, and stick them under the chin of Red Riding Hood. Roll 3 small balls and stick them over the join in the middle.
To make 3x wolf toppers
- Roll 200g of chocolate fondant and cut 3x 78mm circles, score lines into the fondant with a toothpick to make it look like fur and place the disc onto the iced cupcakes.
- To make the ears, cut 3x 3cm squares and cut them in half diagonally, fold the triangles in half and pinch at the bottoms to make an ear shape. Stick with a brush of water to the top of the head.
- Colour 10g of fondant yellow, cut or shape 6 petal shapes and stick on in the position of the eyes, stick black sugar balls on for the pupils
- For the nose, colour the remainder of the chocolate fondant black and cut 3 large hearts for the nose. Stick the end of the brush into it to make nostrils then stick in place on the cake with a brush of water.
- Roll a long sausage of the leftover black fondant and cut into 3 for the mouths, stick in place with a brush of water.
- Using 10g of white fondant, cut the teeth using the Broderie Anglaise cutter or a sharp object and stick the teeth on top of the mouth.
- Using the leftover red fondant, make 3 tongues by rolling the fondant into a sausage shape and flattening with your finger, stick them in place with a brush of water.
Remember to remove your rings before working with fondant!