Ditch that takeaway! Chop the chicken into very small pieces or use leftover meat to make this quick and easy chicken curry.
- For the chicken curry:
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 400g (14oz) chicken fillets, skinned and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
- 1 green chilli, seeded and chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp tomato puree
- ¼ tsp garam masala or 1tsp curry paste
- 2tbsp double cream
- For the spicy salad:
- 1tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ green chilli, seeded and very finely chopped (optional)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- ½ tsp runny honey
- 1tbsp balsamic or cider or wine or malt vinegar
- 1 packet mixed green salad leaves a creamier texture.
To make this chicken curry, heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the onion and fry for 1 min. Add the chicken and continue to fry for 5-6 mins. Stir in the garlic and chilli and continue to fry, stirring from time to time.
While the mixture is browning, make up the salad dressing. Take an empty jar with a lid and place inside the olive oil, black pepper, chilli, salt, honey and vinegar. Screw on the lid and shake.
Add salt, turmeric, cumin and coriander to the chicken mixture. Stir well and continue to fry. Add the tomato puree and garam masala or curry paste, then fold in the cream.
Place the salad leaves into a bowl. Shake the dressing again then pour over the salad leaves and toss. Serve the chicken beside a pile of salad, or push everything into pitta bread pockets.
Top tip for making Manju Malhi’s quick chicken curry
You can also use ¼ tsp of chilli powder instead of the green chillies.