Save money by buying chicken legs, which taste great with a sweet maple crust and seasonal vegetables.
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 butternut squash, about 850g (1¾lb) - peeled and deseeded weight
- 2 red or white onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 6 large cloves garlic, peeled, left whole
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 1 rounded tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 large courgettes, sliced thickly
- A few fresh thyme sprigs
To start this chicken leg recipe set the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6). Cut the squash into chunks, and mix in a roasting tin with the onion wedges and all but 2 of the cloves of garlic. Sprinkle in 1tbsp of the oil, mix well and season. Roast for 15 mins.
Peel and crush the other two cloves of garlic and mix with the maple syrup, mustard and the rest of the oil.
Add the courgettes and thyme to the squash in the roasting tin and place the chicken legs on top. Brush these with the maple syrup glaze. Roast for 50 mins – 1 hr until chicken is well-cooked and the vegetables are tender. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top tip: If you don't have maple syrup, honey works just as well.