A taste of the Mediterranean taken from the Woman’s Weekly archive. This simple salad was first featured in July 1984
- For the dressing
- 5 tbsp good olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar or a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice
- ½ level tsp ready-made mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the salad
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 2 x 125g rounds of mozzarella (buffalo is best)
- 4-5 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado pear
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Basil leaves, to garnish
Whisk all the dressing ingredients together to make the dressing.
To make the salad: Rinse onion rings to take out the strong flavour. Arrange them on a platter. Tear the mozzarella and arrange on the platter with the tomato slices. Halve, peel, stone and slice the avocado and tuck slices into the salad.
Spoon dressing over, season and garnish with basil. Serve with crusty bread.
Edam cheese was suggested for this salad in the original recipe but we prefer a creamy mozzarella