Deliciously salty squid tastes even more fabulous mixed with roasted vegetables in this easy-to-prepare dish
- 680g (1lb 8oz) squid, fresh or defrosted, skinned, cleaned and sliced?
- 120ml (8tbsp) olive oil?
- 60ml spoon (4tbsp) fresh chopped basil?
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed?
- 4 medium aubergines, sliced lengthways?
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced?
- 2 orange peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced?
- 4 courgettes, thickly sliced
- black pepper, to season
- 455g (1lb) cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F, gas mark 8).
Mix together the oil, basil and garlic and leave to infuse.
Place the aubergines on a baking sheet and brush with some of the infused oil.
Place the peppers and courgettes in a large roasting tin and drizzle with remaining oil.
Season all the vegetables with black pepper. Bake the vegetables in the oven for 20 mins.
Add the tomatoes and squid to the peppers and courgettes and stir well. Turn over the aubergines.
Return both trays to the oven and continue cooking for a further 15 mins. Mix everything together. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve on a bed of couscous.
When buying squid, make sure it smells like the ocean - but not too fishy. It should look shiny and firm with a grey membrane.