Warming dinners don't come much tastier than this! A subtle combination of warming spices, this chicken casserole is one to try
- 8 chicken thighs, skin still on
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medi onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2-4 fat cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp each cumin and coriander seeds and paprika
- 410g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 300ml (½ pint) hot chicken stock
- 2-3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Bread, to serve
Trim any excess fat off the chicken thighs. Season the meat. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, pack in the thighs, skin-side down, and cook for 8-10 mins until the skin is a good golden colour. Turn them over and cook for another 5 mins. Take out with tongs and set aside on a plate. Drain off all but about 1 tbsp fat from the pan.
Add the onion wedges and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 mins. Meanwhile, roughly grind the spices in a pestle and mortar. Stir them into the pan and cook for 5 mins.
Add the chickpeas and stock. Bring to the boil, put the chicken thighs back in, skin-side up, and simmer, uncovered, for about 15-20 mins until the chicken is tender.
Stir in spoonfuls of Greek yogurt and let it warm through, but don’t allow it to boil. Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve hot with bread.
Top tip for making Mellow-spiced chicken and chickpeas
Add more yogurt for alighter, thinner sauce.