These Mexican mince pancakes make a delicious, quick family meal. Plus, it's super budget-friendly!
Mexican mince pancakes are perfect for a midweek meal if you need a dish which is quite, easy and low-cost. They would be perfect on Pancake Day if you were trying to create a full dinner menu inspired by pancakes and they are obviously best followed by a sweet dessert pancake... Our delicious Mexican mince pancakes are a great family meal and they are so easy to make. Plus, all the ingredients are from the freezer or store cupboard, so it's a great last-minute standby that's super affordable!
- 500g pack frozen lean fresh mince, or frozen free-flow mince
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1tsp each ground coriander and ground cumin
- ½tsp dried crushed chillies
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g (3½oz) each frozen soya beans and frozen sweetcorn
- 1tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2tbsp frozen chopped coriander
- Our ultimate pancake recipe
- To serve
- 480g pack ready-made pancakes or 8 home-made pancakes, frozen
- 100g (3½oz) mature Cheddar, fresh or frozen
- A few baby plum tomatoes, some chopped cucumber and a few tortilla chips, optional, to serve
Put the pack of mince in the microwave and defrost until just thawed, or cook the free-flow mince from frozen. Heat a large frying pan, add the mince and onion. Let it brown for a few mins, then add the spices, tomatoes and seasoning. Simmer for 15 mins.
Add the frozen soya beans and sweetcorn, then the ketchup, along with 4tbsp water, and simmer for 10 mins. Stir in coriander.
Make the pancakes. Lay them out on the work surface and divide the hot mince mixture between them. Roll them up and pack tightly in a flameproof dish. Sprinkle with the Cheddar and put under the grill (not too close) for about 10 mins, so that they warm through and the cheese melts and turns golden. Serve hot with the salad and tortilla chips.
Top tip for making Mexican mince pancakes
Keep a bag of grated cheese in the freezer, so you can just grab a handful when you need it.