This quick, cheap and easy minestrone soup recipes uses leftover or frozen veg and cooked meat with pasta and beans in a tomato stock.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 500g carton passata (tomato sauce)
- 150g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 60g (2oz) orzo (rice-shaped) pasta
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube
- Good pinch of dried oregano
- About 125g (4oz) cooked vegetables, eg, carrots and parsnips, chopped
- About 100g (3½ oz) cooked meat — we used gammon
- Handful of cooked cabbage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put the oil and onion in a large pan, and cook for about 5 mins until the onion is soft.
Add the passata, plus 500ml (16fl oz) water, the beans, pasta, a crumbled stock cube and the oregano.
Bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chopped vegetables and cooked meat. Heat through and serve topped with shredded, cooked cabbage that’s also been heated through, in a microwave. Season and serve.
Top tip for making Minestrone soup
Top tip: You can use bacon or lardons, and frozen vegetables, and add a can of tomatoes instead of passata, and substitute rice for the pasta.