Easy to make and perfect for kids, these mini fish pies are also high in minerals and essential vitamins.
Like this? You’re going to love our classic fish pie recipe!
- 2 x 450g packets ready made, chilled creamy mashed potato
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 250g cod fillet, skinned and cut into cubes (approx 3cm)
- 250g salmon fillet, skinned and cut into cubes (approx 3 cm)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 200ml milk
- salt and pepper
- 75g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Carrot for hair (use zester to make long thin strips)
- Salad cress for hair
- Red pepper for lips
- Baby sweetcorn for nose
- Spring onion, mini cucumber and peas for eyes
- Blanched French beans for moustache
- Blanched cauliflower for ears
- Cherry tomatoes for cheeks
- Basil for bow-tie
Melt butter in a saucepan, add the onion and sauté for 5 mins. Add the chopped tomato and cook for 2 mins.
Add the flour and stir for about 30 seconds.
Add the fish to the onion and tomato together with the parsley and bay leaf. Pour over the milk and season to taste. Simmer for about 4 mins until the fish is cooked through. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the cheese until melted.
Divide the fish between the ramekin dishes (makes 4 to 6 portions according to size of dish) and top with the mashed potato.
Brush beaten egg over the surface of the mashed potato.
Cook in an oven pre-heated to 180C for 15 mins and finish off for a few mins under a pre-heated grill until golden.
Decorate the pies with faces – children will enjoy designing their own if you give them a selection of vegetables.