This mouth-watering Moroccan rice-stuffed tomatoe recipe is a healthy vegetarian option for lunch or dinner. These delicious tomato parcel are packed with a rice, red onion, pine nuts and spiced stuffing which is bursting with flavour. One tomato not only works out as 1 of your 5-a-day, it's also only 211 calories - perfect if you're calorie counting.
- 4 large beef-steak tomatoes
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 courgette, coarsely grated
- 2tbsp pine nuts
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2tsp Ras el hanout spice mix
- 6 dried apricots, finely chopped
- 250g pack cooked flavoured rice
- Few sprigs fresh mint, chopped
Heat oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Slice the top off each tomato and use a teaspoon to scoop out flesh. Roughly chop the flesh from 2 tomatoes; discard rest.
Heat oil in a frying pan. Add courgette, pine nuts, onion, ras el hanout and apricots, cook for 5 mins. Stir in reserved tomato flesh, cook for 1 min.
Add rice and mint to pan. Stir, spoon into tomatoes. Top with lids and bake for 15-20 mins.
Top tip for making Moroccan rice-stuffed tomatoes
Love the stuffing in this recipe? Use it to stuff peppers instead.